Sunday, September 25, 2005

My name is Christine. I'm 42 and started running (again) last fall. Quite by accident,
I celebrated my 1 year of running steady by entering my 1st 5k. It was even planned. It was 9/11/05 and the local UN chapter was hosting a "Run for Peace" 5 and 10 K's. I only happended upon the race during my ususal sunday run to the park. I noticed the starting line and a bunch of people (maybe 75-100). I asked if it was okay to run during their event and was quickly encouraged to enter.

So I did. My pace was all off and I shot out too fast, slowing down (unintentionally!!)at the end. I clocked in at 27:? I truly don't remember, but was pleased with it being under 30:00. I pushed too hard though and needed a few minutes to compose myself (heaving and light headed). Despite all that, I managed to place 3rd in my ranks (18-44). Not bad for a first timer!

I run alone or sometimes with my dog, Brandy, a 70 pound chow/boxer. Running w/others takes a different kind of discipline, so I'm learning. I did my run on the track today, trying to find my 5k pace. I'm not really sure what I'm doing but I had a good workout.





No comments: